Our 2014 homebrew winner was Chris Banker, creator of last year's winning Xocoveza Mocha Stout. You may have tried this Mexican hot chocolate-inspired brew even if you didn't attend the AHA rally—Chris got to recreate his beer on our brewhouse and we distributed it nationally as Chris Banker/Stone/Insurgente Xocoveza Mocha Stout. This flavorful brew even traveled to Denver for the Pro-Am competition at the 2014 GABF!
That's right, the winner from last year's rally and competition got to brew his personal recipe on our brewhouse. This could be you, so get brewing!
Saturday, March 28th, 11:00am-2:00pm
New Location: Stone Brewing World Bistro & Gardens, Liberty Station
2816 Historic Decatur Rd. San Diego, CA 92106
As a homebrewer, meeting and collaborating with others is the most effective (and fun!) way to improve your skills. Whether you're an experienced brewer or just thinking of starting up, this is a golden opportunity to make new friends and join the club—literally!
For $38* you will get:
- A one-year renewal for current AHA members at a discounted rate (or a brand new one-year membership!)
- The chance to taste some of the most awesome homebrews in Southern California
- Voting rights in the competition—you decide which beers are best!
- The opportunity to win cool raffle prizes
- Your very own vintage Stone Anniversary Celebration tasting glass
- The priceless experience of hanging out with veteran homebrewers and industry professionals!
CLICK HERE to RSVP to attend the AHA Rally
*You can pay your AHA membership fee at the door. Save time and fill out your application form before arriving! CLICK HERE
The Homebrew Competition
Here's how it works:
- Any homebrewer, whether a member of a homebrewing club or not, is encouraged to enter his or her beer in the competition
- A maximum of 30 beers will compete
- The rally and competition both kick off at 11am at Stone Brewing World Bistro & Gardens, Liberty Station
- AHA members will sample competing beers and vote on their favorites
- Four finalists will be selected based on voting results
- A panel of Stone judges will choose the winning beer through a blind tasting
Entering & Attending the Contest
- You must be located in one of the following counties: San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, San Bernardino or Riverside.*
- The competition is open to anyone, regardless of homebrew club affiliation. There are no “official club entries”.
- Register early! ONLY THE FIRST 30 ENTRIES WILL BE ACCEPTED. However, there will be a waiting list.
- You must be an AHA Member to enter or to taste and judge the day of the rally. And hey, you can join at the door!
- We've relocated the 2015 Homebrew Competition & AHA Rally to the North Promenade, next to the Stone Brewing World Bistro & Gardens-Liberty Station.
- Address: 2816 Historic Decatur Road San Diego, CA 92106
- See Deadlines below for beer drop-off location and relevant dates.
- Only one beer may be entered per person.
- One co-brewer is allowed. No brewing teams of three or more will be admitted: limit of two (2) brewers per team.
- Teams of two must choose ONE person to submit the registration form—only one registration per team will be accepted. Submitting duplicate registrations may void your entry and disqualify you from the competition.
- Beer submissions must be dropped off during business hours at the Stone Company Store, Escondido, by Friday, March 20th, with NO exceptions. No late submissions will be accepted! See store hours here
- Please do not try to drop off your beer at the Stone Company Store, Liberty Station location. They will not be able to accept your beer. Only submit your beer to The Stone Company Store, Escondido.
- We cannot accept day-of beer submissions. All beers MUST be submitted on or before Friday, March 20th. We're sorry-no exceptions.
- Beers not received by Friday, March 20th will be disqualified from the competition, and a new entry from the waiting list will selected in its place.
- We cannot accept recipes for bacterially soured beers, Brettanomyces beers, beers brewed with artificial flavorings or ingredients, or beers requiring extended aging (more than 60 days) for brewing on our system.
- The use of artificial ingredients/flavoring usage may void the winning beer. In which case, the runner-up beer will be selected.
- Beers must be submitted in Cornelius ball-lock kegs ONLY—no bottles or pin-lock kegs will be accepted.
- We will supply all tapping equipment and sample glasses. You just provide a keg of your beer!
The Winning Beer
- It is not guaranteed that the winning beer will be the exact beer that we make on our brewhouse. The winning brewer will collaborate with Mitch Steele and a 3rd collaborator (selected by Stone) on a final recipe formulation based on the winning beer style.
- Stone Brewing Co. will secure all ingredients for the collaboration brew on our brewhouse. There may need to be significant ingredient substitutions based on our ability to use certain ingredients and/or their availability.
- You do not have to be a member of a homebrewing club to enter.
- Employees of Stone Brewing Co. and their family members are not eligible to compete.
- Winners of the annual AHA Rally are not eligible to compete during the following three (3) years. E.g., if you win in 2015, the next competition you'd be eligible to participate in would be in 2019.
- You must be an AHA Member to enter your beer in the competition or to taste and judge the day of the rally.
* If you live outside of these five counties, we are sorry, but we can't accept your entry. Don't despair—you still have options: contact the AHA and get the ball rolling for a rally closer to home! http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/
You must submit your registration form by midnight on Friday, March 13th. Please use the online form HERE
Important Information on How to Submit Your Beer
- All beer must be submitted in Cornelius ball-lock kegs. NO pin-lock kegs or bottled beer will be accepted.
- Kegs must be dropped off at the Stone Company Store Escondido no later than Friday, March 20th,
during regular store hours See store hours here
- Any changes to your entry (e.g. different beer or name) must be submitted no later than
4pm on Friday, March 20th.